MANILA (2nd UPDATE) - The Philippines has recorded eight deaths from the coronavirus disease 2019, with three more fatalities reported Saturday, the Department of Health said.
On Saturday morning, the DOH reported the sixth fatality, a patient from Lanao del Sur who has no history of recent travel.
In a statement, the Department of Health (DOH) said the patient, the 40th case in the country, died on March 13 "from acute respiratory distress syndrome due to severe pneumonia" with acute kidney injury.
The patient had been confined at the Northern Mindanao Medical Center in Cagayan de Oro since March 3 after experiencing symptoms on Feb. 24.
Details the DOH earlier released showed that PH40 (patient 40) was a 54-year-old Filipino male whose COVID-19 affliction was confirmed just on March 11, or 2 days before his death.
He is the first coronavirus fatality recorded outside Metro Manila, based on the health department's data.
On Saturday afternoon, the DOH said two more died, including one of the fatalities announced by the Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Medical Center in San Fernando, Pampanga.
The DOH said it was still gathering details on the latest deaths.
The Philippines has recorded a total of 64 cases of the coronavirus, including patients with no known travel history.
The first fatality recorded in the Philippines was a 44-year-old Chinese man, who came from Wuhan City, China where the fast-spreading disease originated.
The patient tagged as PH2 or patient 2, a Chinese man, was then the first novel coronavirus-related death recorded outside China.
In March, the Philippines recorded another fatality - a 67-year-old Filipina who contracted the disease through local transmission.
The woman, tagged as PH35 or patient 35, was the first Filipino fatality in the country. Her husband, a 72-year-old Filipino man, is also confined at the Manila Doctors Hospital due to the virus.
Health authorities on Thursday reported 3 more deaths in the country, bringing the death toll then to 5.
Two of them, tagged as PH5 or patient 5 and PH6 or patient 6, were an elderly couple from Cainta, Rizal.
The other fatality was an 88-year-old Filipina from Pasig City who was admitted to the Philippine Heart Center.
Three of them had no known recent travel history.
Globally, the virus has infected more than 132,000 and killed nearly 5,000 in 122 countries and territories, latest data from the World Health Organization (WHO) showed.
- With a report from Kristine Sabillo, ABS-CBN News