MANILA- President Rodrigo Duterte will no longer push through with his visit to Boracay Island on Thursday, Malacañang announced Wednesday as the government reviewed the coronavirus outbreak in the country.
Presidential spokesman Salvador Panelo said Duterte’s visit would be moved to a later date.
“In light of the recent developments and after careful review of the situation concerning the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the country, President Rodrigo Roa Duterte will not proceed to Boracay Island on Thursday, March 12, as earlier scheduled,” Panelo said.
Duterte was scheduled to inspect the island and distribute certificates of land ownership awards in Barangay Manoc-Manoc on Thursday afternoon.
He was also scheduled to meet with tourism stakeholders in the island.
The visit was supposed to be Duterte’s first to the island since its 6-month closure and rehabilitation in 2018.
The Philippines has so far confirmed 49 cases of the disease, and President Duterte has declared a state of public health emergency and suspended classes in Metro Manila this week.