MANILA (2nd UPDATE) - Television host and comedian Arnell Ignacio said Tuesday he has resigned from his post at the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA).
Ignacio, who was appointed by President Rodrigo Duterte as deputy executive director V last year, tendered his resignation 2 weeks ago.
He, however, refused to disclose the reason for his resignation and instead said he would hold a press briefing later this week.
Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III has accepted his resignation and noted that Ignacio stated personal reasons for leaving the OWWA.
Ignacio, whose full name is Arnaldo Arevalo Ignacio, was one of Duterte’s supporters from the entertainment industry for his presidential bid in 2016.
He was previously tapped by Duterte as assistant vice-president for the community relations and services department of the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR).
In a statement Wednesday, Malacañang said Ignacio has "proven his competence in public service in his current position, as well as during his tenure at the PAGCOR."
"He has intimated his desire to pursue other endeavors. We wish him luck [in the] new path he will traverse," Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said.
"While the President has yet to formally accept Mr. Ignacio's resignation, we recognize as well as thank him for his contributions to the Filipino people." - report from Lynda Jumilla and Zen Hernandez, ABS-CBN News