MANILA - The Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth) has warned its member-hospitals to accept all patients with suspected infection of the new coronavirus.
Should accredited medical institutions refuse to provide care to patients, the state health insurance agency said they will be dealt with by the corporation accordingly.
"Refusal to provide care to said patients shall be considered a violation of the signed Performance Commitment and shall be dealt with by the Corporation accordingly," PhilHealth president and chief executive officer Ricardo Morales said in a statement released Wednesday.
All accredited level 2 and 3 hospitals, which have the capacity to perform quarantine and manage infectious diseases, are directed to accept suspected cases of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus acute respiratory disease (2019-nCoV ARD) for assessment and appropriate management, Morales added.
PhilHealth also reiterated that the World Health Organization (WHO) had already declared the outbreak a global health emergency.
"PhilHealth is working hand in hand with the Department of Health and other concerned agencies to ensure that all Filipinos are protected from risks brought about by this emerging disease," Morales said.
Health Secretary Francisco Duque III earlier said PhilHealth would offer a special package for its members with symptoms of the new strain of coronavirus.
The package includes a P1,000 per day for each hospital taking care of a suspected nCoV patient, he had said.
As of Wednesday, the number of confirmed coronavirus infection in the country was 3, including a Chinese man who died from severe pneumonia on Feb. 1. It was the first recorded nCoV-related death outside China.
Philippine health authorities are also monitoring 178 patients for possible infection of the virus, which has killed nearly 600 in China.