MANILA - Silliman University in Dumaguete City has suspended classes from Wednesday to Friday in a bid to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus.
The health department earlier said 3 persons in the city were quarantined for having contact with the Chinese couple infected with the new coronavirus. Authorities are monitoring some 105 patients suspected of carry the new strain of virus.
The university ordered its faculty to work on alternative learning schemes such as digital and online platforms to ensure completion of requirements.
"Students are advised to stay indoors and avoid crowded places while the situation is being monitored," it said in a statement Tuesday.
The university advised its students to observe the following to avoid contracting the illness:
1. Avoid shaking hands
2. Regularly clean hands with soap and water or alcohol-based rub
3. Cover nose and mouth when coughing and sneezing with tissue or flexed-elbow
4. Avoid close contact with anyone having fever, cold or flu-like symptoms
5. Thoroughly cook meat and other animal products
6. Avoid unprotected contact with live wild or farm animals
7. Eat food that are rich in vitamins and minerals such as fruits and vegetables and drink lots of water
8. Monitor regular updates from health authorities: https://www.doh.gov.ph/2019-nCoV
9. Students and university employees who develop cold or flu-like symptoms are advised to immediately see their doctor or consult the university clinic