Soldiers clash with Abu Sayyaf rebels in Sulu, several dead | ABS-CBN

ADVERTISEMENT

dpo-dps-seal
Welcome, Kapamilya! We use cookies to improve your browsing experience. Continuing to use this site means you agree to our use of cookies. Tell me more!

Soldiers clash with Abu Sayyaf rebels in Sulu, several dead

Soldiers clash with Abu Sayyaf rebels in Sulu, several dead

ABS-CBN News

 | 

Updated Feb 02, 2019 10:32 PM PHT

Clipboard

5 soldiers, 3 Abu Sayyaf killed, Patikul town evacuated

MANILA (5th UPDATE)—Government troops on Saturday clashed with Abu Sayyaf rebels in Patikul, Sulu, as it launched a manhunt for one bandit leader tagged in the twin blasts that killed 22 and hurt at least 100 others in Jolo town last week.

Five soldiers and three from the enemy side, including an Abu Sayyaf leader called Black Moro, were killed in the firefight that went on for nearly two hours, said Lt. Col. Gerald Monfort, spokesperson of Joint Task Force Sulu.

Black Moro is a suspected Indonesian terrorist alleged to have volunteered carrying out the Jolo Cathedral attack, the military said.

Eighteen other soldiers were wounded while 15 from the Abu Sayyaf were hurt, including leader Indang Susukan, who reportedly lost an arm.

ADVERTISEMENT

Col. Gerry Besana, spokesperson of Western Mindanao Command, said pursuit operations against the bandits are ongoing.

Watch more in iWantv or TFC.tv

The "intense firefight" between the 5th Scout Ranger Battalion and at least 100 Abu Sayyaf members under a certain Hajan Sawadjaan erupted in Barangay Kabbon Takas shortly before noon, military officials told reporters.

Sawadjaan is an Abu Sayyaf leader believed to be involved in the bombings at the Jolo Cathedral during a mass on January 27. He was known to have sworn allegiance to the Islamic State.

Residents of Patikul were evacuated amid the firefight. Authorities stepped up checkpoints in other parts of Sulu, with troops on the lookout for the possible entry of supplies, particularly food, for the bandit group.

The encounter happened amid investigation surrounding the possible involvement of Indonesian suicide bombers aided by the Abu Sayyaf group in twin blasts.

The blasts happened while the entire Mindanao was under martial law.

Authorities have yet to apprehend suspects.

Military airstrikes on Wednesday pounded Abu Sayyaf enclaves in Sulu after President Rodrigo Duterte ordered an "all-out war" against the Islamic State-inspired rebels.

— Reports from Maan Macapagal and Chiara Zambrano, ABS-CBN News

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.