The Philippine Military Academy (PMA) is implementing precautionary measures against the possible spread of the novel 2019 coronavirus (2019-nCoV) by temporarily prohibiting tourists from entering the facility until the third week of February.
Major Reynan Afan, acting chief of the PMA public affairs office, said the academy is now only allowing relatives of the 1,100 cadets to enter the premises but only after having been checked by staff of PMA station hospital.
“Minabuti ng PMA na isara muna ito sa mga turista sa susunod na tatlong linggo para lang maiwasan ang pagkalat ng novel coronavirus,” Afan said.
(The PMA is closing the facility to tourists for three weeks to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus.)
The academy is also limiting activities attended by the cadets outside of it.
The advisory came after Baguio Mayor Benjamin Magalong cancelled the opening parade of the Panagbenga Festival and other public events until the third week of February.
As of posting time, ho decision has been made on the conduct of the Grand Street Dancing Competition and Grand Float Parade originally set on February 29 and March 1, respectively.
The PMA and its alumni are also still undecided whether to push through with the alumni homecoming on February 14 to 16. The annual event usually draws more than 2,000 graduates.
Most hotels have already been booked as early as September of last year for the said gathering.