MANILA (UPDATED) - One of the cops allegedly involved in the Dacer-Corbito murder case in 2000 is now under the custody of the Philippine National Police (PNP) Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG).
Former police Senior Superintendent Cezar Mancao II, who had been in hiding for years, is currently under CIDG protection "for security reasons," said CIDG-National Capital Region Chief, Senior Superintendent Belli Tamayo said.
Mancao, who is facing double murder charges, surrendered Monday morning, police said.
"As of now, for security reasons, dahil hindi naman namin siya pwedeng ilagay lang kung saan-saang detention with other suspects of drugs, we also have Abu Sayyaf, he is in this office and closely guarded by my personnel," he said.
Tamayo said Mancao will stay under his custody until the court issues a decision where he will be committed.
Mancao was among those charged for the murder of publicist Salvador "Bubby" Dacer and his driver Emmanuel Corbito in Indang, Cavite in 2000.
In May 2013, Mancao escaped from the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) after he was discharged as a witness. He said he is likely to get killed if he is transferred to the Manila City Jail.
In 2015, while on the run, Mancao absolved Senator Panfilo Lacson and former President Joseph Estrada, admitting that he has no personal knowledge of their supposed involvement in the double murder case.
He also added that he was just forced by the past administration to implicate them. - with a report from Henry Atuelan, DZMM