Supreme Court fires security guard who abandoned post

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jan 18 2019 02:47 PM

MANILA - The Supreme Court dismissed a security guard stationed at the Court of Appeals and forfeited all his retirement benefits for abandoning his post, the high court disclosed Friday.

In a 7-page decision, the high court said it found Security Guard 1 Enrique E. Manabat, Jr. "guilty of gross neglect of duty and conduct prejudicial to the best interest of the service" for going on an absence without leave from November 19 to 22, 2017

Aside from his absence without leave in 2017, the guard who had been in service for 17 years allegedly lied about a scheduled physical therapy at the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) in 2013, the SC said in a statement.

Manabat claimed he was about to return to his post after his PGH appointment but "received an emergency call from his wife to fetch a relative who was a victim of Typhoon Yolanda."

PGH records showed he "never went to the scheduled physical therapy," the high court said.

Manabat’s "flimsy excuse[s] cannot exonerate him from any liability because they were unjustified and unreliable," the decision read.

He was also charged with Simple Neglect of Duty by the Court for accidentally discharging his service firearm and for committing "Disrespectful Utterance Against [CA] Justice Danton Q. Bueser."