Warning: Video contains offensive language.
Duterte says he is no longer a Catholic
MANILA – Incoming president Rodrigo Duterte slammed the Catholic Church and some bishops in a press conference in Davao City Monday evening.
Duterte started with the Catholic Church’s stance on responsible parenthood. The incoming president also clarified earlier reports that he was pushing for a three-children policy, stating that he cannot force families to limit the number of their children.
(READ: Duterte to defy Church with three-child policy)
“I am suggesting that you are in good hands if you limit the number of your children,” Duterte said.
The tough-talking mayor also said that the Catholic Church is not doing the Filipino people any good by only supporting natural family planning methods.
“Buti sana kung magbigay ang Katoliko ng honorarium (to families with multiple children). Sabi ko nga, kung hindi makatulong ang Simbahan, wag na kayo makinig d'yan,” he said.
(READ: Duterte calls Catholic Church 'most hypocritical institution')
Duterte also lashed out at bishops who criticized him for his alleged immorality and campaigned against him in the recent elections.
“Ang hindi kasi nakuha ng Simabahan, napaka-bobo naman kasi itong Katoliko. Tapos ngayon, nagsabi pa, hindi daw sila nagkampanya. Eh ‘yung tatlong bishop na nagsalita against me?” said Duterte.
He was quick, however, to clarify that he has no rift with the local bishop in Davao.
“Wala kami away dito ni ano (Archbishop Romulo Geolina Valles of Davao). Ito lang mga obispo na sobrang yabang, akala mo, marunong. Sabi n'ya, we the church will criticize immorality. How about you? Why have you not criticized yourself or ask pardon from the Filipino people?” Duterte added.
In an apparent reference to Duterte, the CBCP on May 1 urged the public to reject a "morally reprehensible" candidate who has shown "scant regard" for the rights of others and the teachings of the Church.
The incoming president once again called on the Catholic bishops for allegedly asking money from the Arroyo administration so they could buy SUVs.
Duterte singled out Oscar Cruz, the retired archbishop of the Archdiocese of Lingayen-Dagupan.
“Meron pa dito si Oscar Cruz, nagsabi na ginamit daw yung mga Montero pati yung Land Cruiser as part of the charity of the priests. Kelan mo gagamitin ang mga Montero, pati mga SUV?,” Duterte asked.
“Bobolahin mo pa mga Pilipino! Hoy, Oscar! Oca, wag mong bolahin ang mga Pilipino. Nakakahiya ka!” Duterte added.
Duterte did not mince any words for Cruz, who, according to him, was making a fool out of the Filipino people.
“Wala ako nakita na Montero na ginamit ng bishop na ginawang ambulansya. 'Wag nga tayo magbolahan, Cruz! Wag mo ako bolahin, Cruz. Dalawa tayong bolero sa mundong ito,” Duterte warned.
“Do not f*** with me, Cruz! Iparinig mo sa kanya 'yan!” he added.
The incoming president also admitted that he is no longer a member of the Catholic Church.
“Di na ako miyembro ng Katoliko,” he told reporters during the press conference.
"May bago ako, lipat na lang kayo dito sa Iglesia ni Duterte," he added, in jest.
Duterte have had many disagreements with the Catholic Church in the not so distant past.
CBCP President Lingayen-Dagupan Archbishop Socrates Villegas previously criticized Duterte for cursing Pope Francis, whose visit caused heavy traffic in Metro Manila in January 2015.
Villagas also denounced the mayor's statements on killing criminals.
Duterte has also made no secret his alleged experience as a youth wherein he was supposedly molested by a priest.