MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) - Shamcey Supsup, reigning Bb. Pilipinas-Universe, won third runner-up in the 60th Miss Universe pageant held Monday night (Tuesday morning in Manila) at the Credicard Hall in Sau Paolo, Brazil.
During the pageant's question and answer portion, judge Vivica A. Fox asked Supsup the question: "Would you change your religious beliefs to marry the person that you love? Why or why not?"
The Filipina replied, "If I had to change my religious beliefs, I would not marry the person that I love because the first person I love is God, who created me. I have my faith and my principles, and this is what makes me who I am. And if that person loves me, he should love my God, too."
Supsup topped the online fan ranking during the Miss Universe question and answer portion. She placed second in the online ranking for the evening gown competition.
Some fast facts about Supsup:
- Supsup, 25, was born on May 16, 1986. She moved to General Santos City with her family when she was 3 years old. General Santos is also the hometown of Filipino boxing icon Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao.
- Supsup grew up with her father, Timoteo, since her mother (Marcey) worked as an engineer abroad. Before studying in Manila, she helped her father in the farm, feeding chickens and goats.
- In school, Supsup studied hard and enjoyed reading books. She was a valedictorian of her grade school batch, and was salutatorian of her high school batch at the Makati High School.
- Supsup graduated magna cum laude from the University of the Philippines and topped the 2010 Architect Licensure Examination.
- Supsup believes that there is life on other planets, and that women have a natural advantage over men because "we have intuition so men don't fool us."
- Asked if she could be any animal, Supsup said she wants to be a bird "so I can fly and see the mountains."