MANILA, Philippines -- The University of the Philippines Alumni Association (UPAA) has named the 11 awardees for the Lifetime Distinguished Achievements category this 2013.
The UPAA, celebrating its centennial this year, will hold the award ceremonies at the UP General Alumni-Faculty Homecoming and Reunion on June 22.
The 11 UP alumni being recognized for Lifetime Achievement this year are the following:
- Dr. Rhodora V. Azanza (MS’79; PhD’86), fondly called the “Red Tide Lady.” She has made pioneering research on seaweeds and microalgal biology, coastal environment management and seafood safety.
- Prof. Benjamin H. Cervantes (AB’62), a multi-awarded actor, screen and stage director.
- Dr. Nora J. Cruz-Quebral (AB’50 magna cum aude), called the “Mother of Development Communication” for paving the way for it to become an academic discipline.
- Dr. Isidoro P. David (BSA’63 cum laude; MS’66), the first Filipino statistician to be honored by the International Statistical Institute for his achievements in statistics and the promotion of best statistical practices.
- Entomologist Dr. Aida C. Decena-Solsoloy (BSST’74; MS’85; PhD’92), one of the country’s leading experts in technology development for pest management.
- Eco warrior Ms. Luz Escalante-Sabas (MA’62; MAT’79), co-founder of the Zero Waste Recycling Movement of the Philippines, training countless people across the country on zero waste management.
- Banker Atty. Edgardo B. Espiritu (ROTC’56; LLB’58), who has had a long career in banking and finance, highlighted by his stint as Finance Secretary and World Bank Governor for the Philippines.
- Dr. Augusto D. Litonjua (AA’51 (w/high honors); MD’56), who has been dubbed as the “Father of Philippine Endocrinology” and one of the country’s leading doctors in diabetes care and treatment.
- Atty. Estelito P. Mendoza (AA’48; ROTC’52; LLB’52 cum laude), who heads his own firm, serves as director for many publicly listed corporations and is also a professorial lecturer at the UP College of Law.
- Public Works and Highways Sec. Rogelio L. Singson (BSIE’71), the former chairman and president of the Bases Conversion Development Authority who pushed for greater public-private partnerships for development.
- Mrs. Nelia Teodoro-Gonzalez (BSA’44; CGM’77), who became one the country’s first top female executives and has inspired generations of women across Southeast Asia for her business acumen.
Distinguished alumni awards will also be given to the following:
- BGen. Marcelo B. Javier (ROTC’66; BSFS’67)
- Mr. Rozel Alexander M. Santos (BSGeo’63) for Community Empowerment
- Dr. Abelardo Apollo I. David, Jr. (BSOT’98) and Annie L. Oro-Ty (BSHEc’79) for Community Service
- Luis E. Yee, Jr. (Fine Arts 1971) for Culture and the Arts
- Dr. Elena M. Bautista-Sparrow (BSA’62 (Honors Curriculum), cum laude) for Educational Innovation
- Engr. Ramon I. Castillo (BSEE’82; MBA’08) for Entrepreneurship and Employment Creation
- Forester Arsenio B. Ella (BSF’74; MS’83) for Environmental Conservation and Sustainable Development
- Sen. Lorna Regina B. Legarda (AB’81, cum laude) for Environmental Protection and Climate Change Adaption
- Prof. Aurora Javate-de Dios (BSFS’70; MA’85) and Dr. Carolyn C. Israel-Sobritchea (AB’68; MA’73; PhD’87) for Gender Equality and Women Empowerment
- Dr. Milton B. Amayun (BS’73; MD’77) for Global Public Health
- Dr. Leonor Magtolis-Briones (MPA’67) and Sen. Jose P. Ejercito (AB’94) for Good Governance
- Justice Jose P. Perez (AB’67; LLB’71) for Judiciary
- Dr. Sukarno D. Tanggol (DPubAd’92) for Peace and Social Cohesion
- Dr. Edsel Maurice T. Salvaña (BS’96 magna cum laude; MD’01) for Public Health Promotion
- Atty. Simeon V. Marcelo (LLB’79) for Public Service
- Dr. Silvestre C. Andales (MS’70), Dr. Josefino C. Comiso (BS’62), Engr. Hilary L. de Leon (BSEE’71 cum laude; MS’73), Mr. Manuel M. Gamboa (BSGeo’65), and Dr. Windell L. Rivera (BSBio’89; MS’95) for Science and Technology
The UPAA will also hand the Distinguished Service Award for an Alumnus/Alumna to: Engr. Jose Martin O. Aliling (BSCE’69), Dr. Teodoro J. Herbosa (BS’79 cum laude; MD’83), and Dr. Bernadette Jardiolin-Madrid (BS’79 cum laude; MD’83).
The UPAA Distinguished Service Award for an Alumni Chapter will go to the UP College of Business Administration Alumni Association, and the UP Interior Design Alumni Association.
The UPAA Presidential Awardees are: Dr. Evelina Guevara-Escudero (BSHE’64; MAEd’99; PhD’04), Chef Cristeta Pasia-Comerford (Food Technology 1983), and Dr. Fernando F. Sanchez (BSA’58 (Honors Curriculum)).
The UPAA Presidential Award for Past UPAA Presidents will be given to:
- Atty. Estelito P. Mendoza
- Atty. Edgardo B. Espiritu
- Atty. Ponciano G.A. Mathay (AA’52; LLB’53)
- Atty. Eduardo F. Hernandez (AA’49; ROTC’51; LLB’53)
- Lt. Gen. Jaime S. De los Santos (MBA’74)
- Atty. Gari M. Tiongco (AB’66; LLB’70)
- Dr. Alfredo E. Pascual (BSChem’69 cl; MBA’72)
- Atty. Gladys San Juan-Tiongco (BSFS’67; LLB’71)
To be recognized as UPAA Multi-Generation UP Alumni Families are:
- Abenojar Family
- Austria Family
- Chinte Family
- Cunanan Family
- Dalisay Family
- De Guzman Family
- De Leon Family
- Guatelara-Sanchez Family
- Icban Family
- Jose Family
- Lansang-Reyes Family
- Laminta-Javier Family
- Mapili-Baron Family
- Mata-Deleon Family
- Medina-Tan-Gatue Family
- Nera Family
- Rivera Family
- Tengonciang-Escoto Family
- Tiongco-Aguilar Family
- Torneros-Talens Family
- Zaldivar Family
For inquiries, please contact the UPAA Secretariat at 632-9206868, 632-9206871, 632-9206875 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit the UPAA website https://www.upalumni.ph for complete details.