Billy Crawford detained


Posted at Sep 07 2014 12:29 PM | Updated as of Sep 08 2014 04:00 AM

Billy Crawford detained 1
Billy Crawford. File Photo

MANILA – (UPDATE 3) Host-singer Billy Crawford is currently detained at a Taguig City police station after he allegedly went berserk past 4 a.m. Sunday at the Police Station 7 breaking the glass of one of its sliding doors.

In an interview with DZMM, Jonathan Aride, chief inspector of the Taguig Police Station 7, said Crawford arrived at the station supposedly to complain about a personal problem.

“May sinasabi siya pero hindi ko matandaan dahil nasa labas siya. Basta nagwawala siya doon dahil parang nakainom. Inaawat siya ng isang babae namin na pulis. Ayaw magpaawat kaya nauwi sa nabasag niya 'yung salamin sa sliding door,” he said.

Aride said they then asked for help to calm down the TV host.

“Humingi kami ng responde sa isang mobile namin na mga lalaki para posasan siya. Kasi ayaw niya magpaawat eh. Dalawang babae, desk officer namin [ang naka-duty kanina]. Nasa kabilang area kami dahil meron din kaming insidente sa kabila,” he said.

According to Aride, Crawford was with an unidentified woman who left after the “It’s Showtime” host was arrested.

“May babae pero hindi lumapit. Biglang nawala nung naposasan na namin... Isang babae lang ang na-identify na kasama niya. Actually hindi siya nagpakilala kasi nung dumating 'yung mobile namin, bigla siyang nawala,” he said.

“[Walang physical contact], medyo tulak tulak lang dahil hinaharangan nga ng mga tao ko para hindi niya mabasag ang salamin kaya lang malakas siya kaya nagkaroon siya ng pagkakataon na banggain ang salamin namin,” he added.

Crawford may be facing charges of malicious mischief, resisting arrest, direct assault and disobedience of agent of authority.

Billy narrates what happened

Crawford has since apologized for the incident.

Admitting that it was really his fault, Crawford, in an interview with DZMM, said he already said sorry to the police officers if he had said any derogatory statements.

“It was my fault pero wala akong nasaktan, wala akong tinulak, wala akong tinamaan kundi 'yung salamin,” he said.

“To be honest with you, I don’t see anything wrong with what I did. It was my fault for actually being aggressive. Buti na lang it didn’t happen in a bar, it didn’t happen anywhere else. It happened in a precinct. The reason why is because I knew for a fact I needed to be in a controlled environment. So as I said, I really apologize to the officers if I said anything derogatory or anything else,” he added.

Crawford, who admitted to have been drinking, explained that he went to the police station because he was “stressed out by certain situations.”

“You know when we are under the influence of alcohol, you just don’t really fake it. I don’t come from a background na to hide or to fake anything. It’s an aggression. I’m just really exhausted. I’m stressed out by certain situations. We try to be the best we are. We are not perfect. Ibig sabihin ng ‘Ayaw ko makasakit,’ I’m getting the aggression,” he said.

“And usually for me, when I’m angry, I’m not plastic. If there’s someone that speaks derogatorily to me or anything, reresbak ako. It’s my protection. That’s one of the reasons why I went to the prison and said, ‘Just please arrest me.’ Kasi I do not want to be drunk roaming around or making a fool out of myself which I am right now. That was it,” he added.

Crawford said he immediately calmed down when he was handcuffed. Unfortunately, he broke one of the precinct’s sliding doors.

“When they put the handcuffs on me, I calmed down. When I sat down, I just… ewan ko. Ito ba 'yung pahinga na sinasabi ko na gusto ko,” he said. “I can’t contain myself if I’m under the influence of alcohol. Sasabihin ko nga that was the only thing that was wrong for me. I just really apologized.”

Asked what he learned from this incident, Crawford said: “Maybe lessen the alcohol and act like a grown up. It’s really immature and it’s a shame for me.”

Legal proceedings

Meanwhile, Crawford’s lawyers promised to clear all speculations about the incident through the proper legal proceedings.

“We thank the police for being professional while appropriate investigation on the incident is being conducted. We ask media to respect Billy’s right to due process and privacy on this matter,” Crawford’s lawyers said.

They, however, reiterated that Crawford did not hurt anyone.

“Rest assured that he did not hurt anyone and no one was injured as it’s not in his nature to do so. We are confident that truth shall prevail in the end,” he said.

Crawford will be spending the night in detention at the Investigation and Detection division of the Taguig City PNP. His will undergo inquest proceedings on Monday morning.

Coleen reacts

Meanwhile, Crawford’s girlfriend, Coleen Garcia, came to his defense, belying an earlier report of GMA News that the “It’s Showtime” host hit a lady police officer.

In her personal Twitter account, Garcia asked GMA News to “stop spreading lies.”

“You and I both know that Billy didn't punch anyone last night. I doubt that he would ever hit a woman,” she said.

“As for the ‘unidentified woman’ he was with? He was with three of my best friends. And yes, two of them are women. No need to put malice in that,” she added.

Garcia then went on to urge her followers to “not believe everything you read.”