MANILA — (UPDATED) Screen veteran Christopher de Leon said Tuesday he tested positive for the new coronavirus disease (COVID-19), amid a pandemic that has put the Philippines under a state of calamity.
On Instagram, the "Love Thy Woman" actor shared a statement addressed to his family and friends, including those in the entertainment industry.
"Today, our doctor confirmed that I have COVID-19. I've had no recent travel history outside of the Philippines and no known contact with anyone who is positive to have the virus. However, due to the nature of my work in the entertainment business, I have interacted with many people," he wrote.
De Leon, 63, asked those who have "come in contact me within the last week or two to observe stringent self-quarantine, observe for symptoms and follow the triage procedures published by the DOH, whether asymptomatic or not."
"Please cooperate with the authorities in their contact tracing efforts," he added.
De Leon is currently part of the ABS-CBN afternoon drama "Love Thy Woman". While the series continues to air episodes it has so far taped, it is one of the ABS-CBN programs that have indefinitely halted production due to COVID-19.
Kim Chiu, de Leon's co-star in "Love Thy Woman", was among the first to wish him a swift recovery. In Instagram Stories, she wrote: "Get well soon, Tito Bo! Let's all include Tito Bo sa prayers natin!"
De Leon's wife, fellow actor Sandy Andolong, their daughter Mica, as well as their household helpers are practicing self-quarantine at home, he said.
"In this time of trial, we ask for your prayers and we continue to praise and thank the Lord for His goodness in our lives," he said.
Quoting a verse from the Bible, de Leon further wrote: "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."
De Leon is the second Filipino personality to announce he has tested positive for the disease, following Sen. Juan Miguel Zubiri.
As of Tuesday afternoon, the Philippines has recorded 187 cases of COVID-19, including 12 deaths. It's unclear whether that latest tally from the Department of Health included Zubiri or de Leon.