Finance chief Recto submits recommendation to totally ban POGOs in PH | ABS-CBN

ADVERTISEMENT

dpo-dps-seal
Welcome, Kapamilya! We use cookies to improve your browsing experience. Continuing to use this site means you agree to our use of cookies. Tell me more!

Finance chief Recto submits recommendation to totally ban POGOs in PH

Finance chief Recto submits recommendation to totally ban POGOs in PH

Katrina Domingo,

ABS-CBN News

 | 

Updated Jul 11, 2024 01:20 AM PHT

Clipboard

Finance Secretary Ralph G. Recto answer questions during the during the economic briefing for the World Economic Forum (WEF) Country Roundtable in Manila at the Kalayaan Hall in Malacanang in Manila on March 19, 2024. Jonathan Cellona, PPA/PoolFinance Secretary Ralph G. Recto answer questions during the during the economic briefing for the World Economic Forum (WEF) Country Roundtable in Manila at the Kalayaan Hall in Malacanang in Manila on March 19, 2024. Jonathan Cellona, PPA/Pool

MONTALBAN, Rizal — The Department of Finance (DOF) on Wednesday said it has submitted to President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. its  recommendation to totally ban offshore gaming operations in the country. 

The recommendation has been submitted a “few weeks ago,” Finance Secretary Ralph Recto told reporters on the sidelines of an event here. 

“The way it's being ran right now is a big problem, right? Unless we can improve the way we're doing it,” he said. 

“I don't think that we should prioritize POGO,” he said. 

ADVERTISEMENT

The President has yet to respond to the DOF’s recommendation, Recto said. 

The Finance chief declined to give details of his recommendation on the ban on POGOs, but he earlier said that he is “not a fan of gambling.” 

“If they were not doing any hanky panky and they’re paying taxes, fine with me. But I think there are many issues already surrounding the POGO industry ‘di ba,” he said in a forum earlier this month. 

Socioeconomic Secretary Arsenio Balisacan has also been vocal about his stance against POGOs in the country, saying that the social costs they bring outweighs the revenue generated from these businesses. 

Meanwhile, Sen. Sherwin "Win" Gatchalian, who is actively probing POGO operations through the Senate panel on women, supported Recto's recommendation.

"I fully support Finance Secretary Ralph Recto’s recommendation to the President to impose a total ban on Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators in the country," he said in a statement.

"Nakita naman natin sa imbestigasyon sa Senado ang mga hindi magagandang idinudulot ng mga POGO. The presence of POGOs has created significant economic and regulatory challenges diverting resources that could be better utilized elsewhere," the senator added.

He said that among illegal activities linked to POGO are human and sex trafficking, serious illegal detention, money laundering, torture, and online scamming.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker on our website.