MANILA - (UPDATED) The Department of Labor and Employment on Monday named 20 companies that it said were engaged or suspected to be engaged in labor-only contracting.
The country's largest fast food operator, Jollibee, topped the list, with 14,960 "affected" workers, followed by Dole Philippines and PLDT Inc, with 10,521 and 8,310, respectively.
President Rodrigo Duterte earlier this month signed an executive order to stop "endo" or hiring workers in 5-month-long cycles at a time to avoid granting them regular status.
Last month, the labor department ordered Jollibee and its subsidiary, Burger King, to regularize about 7,000 workers. In July it directed PLDT to regularize close to 9,000 employees.
In a statement issued after the labor department's announcement, PLDT said an appeal on the regularization ruling was filed before the Court of Appeals.
"Our view is that certain aspects of the decision were inconsistent with applicable law, jurisprudence, and the documentary and testimonial evidence presented to the DOLE Secretary," it said.
ABS-CBN News is getting the sides of the other companies involved.
The 20 companies on the labor department's list include:
1. Jollibee Food Corporation (14,960)
2. Dole Philippines, Inc. (10,521)
3. Phil. Long Distance Telephone Co. (8,310)
4. Philsaga Mining Corp (6,524)
5. General Tuna Corp (5,216)
6. Sumi Phil. Wiring Systems Corp (4,305)
7. Franklin Baker Inc (3,400)
8. Pilipinas Kyohritsu Inc (3,161)
9. Furukawa Automotive Systems Phil Inc (2,863)
10. Magnolia Inc. (2,248)
11. KCC Property Holdings Inc (1,802)
12. Sumifru Philippines Corp (1,687)
13. Hinatuan Mining Corp (1,673)
14. KCC Mall De Zamboanga (1,598)
15. Brother Industries (Philippines) Inc (1,582)
16. Philippine Airlines & PAL Express (1,483)
17. Nidec Precision Philippines Corp (1,400)
18. Peter Paul Phil. Corp (1,362)
19. Dolefil Upper Valley Operations (1,183)
20. DOLE-Stanfilco (1,131)
The labor department said it listed 3,377 companies in total, with 2,610 of these firms suspected to be engaged in labor-only contracting and 767 engaged in the scheme. It said a total of 224,852 workers were affected.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said the agency, not necessarily President Rodrigo Duterte, would "provide fines and may even order closure and criminal prosecution."
"The Labor Code is very clear that it is within the power of the Secretary to close these establishments, provide fines, and even prosecution under the penal clause of the Labor Code," he told reporters. -- report from Zen Hernandez, ABS-CBN News