Date of Birth: November 11, 1942
Place of Birth: Paco, Manila
Residence: Makati City
Civil Status: Married to Dra. Elenita Gabriel Sombillo
Children: Marie Lourdes Nancy, Atty. Mar-Len Abigail “Abby” (Makati City Representative (2nd District), Jejomar “Junjun” Erwin (Makati City Councilor, vying for Mayor post in 2010), Marita Angeline, Joanna Marie Blanca
Atty. Jejomar Binay would always tout his achievements in local politics—he was Makati City mayor for 6 terms—and his rags-to-riches story. He always claimed that his love for the poor is rooted on the fact that he personally experienced poverty. He never tired of recalling how he tended the pigs of relatives who took him under their wings after he was orphaned at an early age. As the longest serving Mayor of the richest local government in the country, he captured the hearts and loyalty of the city’s poor by providing free social, education, medical services—a formula that other local officials would later copy.
The former student activist and political prisoner was close to the Aquino family due to their anti-Marcos days. He opted not to support the presidential aspirations of Sen. Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III, and insted chose to be the runningmate of former president and Pwersa ng Masang Pilipino standard bearer Joseph Estrada. He seemed thrilled, however, with how he has advanced in the pre-election surveys from a far fourth position to the second spot.
On Erap Estrada: (translated) “I'm only third among Villar's choices, and I'm closer to Pres. Erap because we are on the same party. Pres. Erap is the chairman of the United Opposition and I am the president. So this is a political collision that we are on the same team. Both of us came from the same executive department (both served as mayors) and we are both motivated to help the poor.”
On using Cory magic to boost his campaign: After being criticized for using his experience and participation in EDSA 1, Binay admits that it is one of his ways to be known by people. He said, “Let’s just say it is the desired effect because most of the youth today do not know it because they were not yet born during that time.”
He also said, “Cory magic and Erap magic are not competing against each other. This year (2010) I just want the people to know that I was a part of it (EDSA1).”
- Binay finished basic education at the Philippine Normal College Training Department and graduated from the University of the Philippines preparatory high school.
- He continued his college at the University of the Philippines in Diliman with a degree in Political Science and graduated in 1962.
- He pursued Law in the same university in 1963 and graduated in 1967; and passed the bar exams in 1968.
- He also took up Masters in Public Administration, Major in Local Government Management in the University of the Philippines
- 1980 – He also took Master of Laws in the University of Santo Tomas
- 1990 – He took up Masters in National Security Administration in the National Defense College of the Philippines
- He also took up Strategic Business Economic Program in the Center for Research and Communication
- 1992 – He took up a Non-Resident Command and General Staff Course at the Command and General Staff College, AFP
- 1992 – He took up the Senior executive Fellows Program at John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University
- 1992 – He achieved Doctor of Public Administration (Honoris Causa) at the Polytechnic University of the Philippines
- 1993 – He received a Diploma in Land Use Program in the School of Urban Regional Planning in University of the Philippines
- 1996 – He finished the Top Management Program at the Asian Institute of Management (Bali, Indonesia)
- 1997 – He also took up Joint Services and Command Staff Course at the Joint Services and Command Staff College, AFP
- 1998 – He also took up Masters in Management at the Philippine Christian University
- 2004 – He received a Diploma in Environmental and Natural Resources Management at the University of the Philippines Open University
Binay taught at the Philippine College of Commerce (now Polytechnic University of the Philippines), Philippine Women’s University, and St. Scholastica’s College
1968: He passed the Bar Exams
He also passed the professional Career Service Examinations, and the General Clerical Examinations.
1986-1987: Binay was appointed as acting Mayor of Makati, then just a municipality. He was the first local executive to be appointed after the EDSA Revolution.
He became Governor (Concurrent Capacity) of the Metropolitan Manila Commission but left in less than a year to start campaigning for the mayoralty race in Makati.
1988-1998: He was elected Mayor of Makati and served for three consecutive terms. When Makati was converted into a highly-urbanized city in 1995 by virtue of R.A.7854, Binay became the first Chief Executive of the City Government of Makati.
1990-1992: While serving as mayor of Makati, he was concurrently chair of the Metro Manila Authority for two terms under the Aquino administration.
1998-2001: After completing his 3 consequtive terms as Makati mayor, Binay fielded his wife to take over. While he was still active—though from the sidelines—in the Makati politics, he returned to MMDA as chair. Under the Estrada administration, he was also co-chair of the Task Force on Traffic Improvement and Management for Metro Manila and Suburbs, and was co-chair of the Pasig Rehabilitation Commission (PRRC).
2001-2007: After breaking the 3-consequtive-terms limit set by law, he returned to reclaim the post as Mayor of Makati City. He served another 3 consequtive terms.
October 21, 2009: Joseph Estrada-Jejomar Binay tandem for the 2010 elections was formally announced
LABAN – member Chairman, Ad Hoc Committee
Partido Demokratiko - National President Pilipino-Laban (PDP-Laban)
Member, National Executive Committee
Chairman, Makati Chapter
Chairman, Metro Manila Council
Chairman, Ad Hoc Committee
Makati Campaign Manager, 1986 Presidential Snap Elections
- Founding Member and former Vice-Chair, Movement of Attorneys for Brotherhood, Integrity and Nationalism, Inc. (MABINI)
- Founder, August Twenty One Movement (ATOM)
- Manila Chapter chair, Free Legal Assistance Group (FLAG)
- Former National President, Boy Scouts of the Philippines
- Former Chair, The World Organization of the Scout Movement Asia Pacific Regional Scout Committee
- President, United Opposition
Awards and Citations
- Outstanding chairman, Metro Manila Development Authority – September 19, 1992
- Award on the Luzon Campaign Medal – November 10, 1992
- Special Presidential Award for Service – June 15, 2002
- Leadership Award, Presidential Citation – October 6, 2002
- Most Outstanding City Mayor of Makati and Consumers Advocate Award – July 4, 2003
- U. P. Oblation Run Award – February 7, 2004
- Centennial Medal of Honor – June 4, 2005
- Outstanding Public Official and Great Achiever – October 28, 2005
- World Mayor Award granted by London-based City Mayors, a think tank on urban affairs – December 2006
Sources: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNWxR121fsc, https://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/02/24/10/binay-hit-using-cory-magic-new-pol-ad, https://jojobinay.ph, www.jejomarbinay.com.ph, www.makati.gov.ph
Jejomar "Jojo" Cabauatan Binay