All data provided are from the Department of Health’s various information sites including their data drop. Where appropriate, other graphs, illustrations, tables and data are appropriately referenced.
December 29, 2020 (updated)
For the third straight day after Christmas, the DoH reports triple digit cases, with 886 new cases today. The number of individuals being tested remains at a low of 13,464 with 793 positive for a daily positive rate of 5.9 percent. The lower testing (and cases) may be attributable to the holiday season as this trend is also seen globally (see data below).
Davao City led today’s haul with 61 new cases.
The DoH also reports 38 deaths for the day.
The good news? The Rt is down to 0.94 and let’s hope that with the very long holiday in the country, we can keep it that way.
Yesterday’s data breakdown
- NCR continued to be the epicenter in the country with 189 new cases, which accounted for a little less than one-fourth of the total cases.
- On a more granular level, Davao City led in yesterday’s haul with 62 new cases.
- Only one other region reported triple digits – CALABARZON.
- Three provinces in CALABARZON were among the top ten – Laguna, Rizal and Cavite.
- Davao del Sur was the top hauler on a provincial level.
- Nine of seventeen cities in NCR were among the top twenty cities/municipalities with highest cases yesterday. Quezon City led the numbers in Mega Manila with 46 cases.
- Three cities/municipalities in Benguet were in the top twenty – La Trinidad, Baguio City and Mankayan.
- Notice that 6 of the cities in the top twenty cities/municipalities reported only single digits.
With 490,360 new cases, the world moves closer to the 82,000,000 mark. When it comes to new deaths, 9,465 were reported.
The United States continues to lead in both new cases and new deaths overnight in spite of the lower global numbers.
With South Africa reporting more than 7,000 new cases yesterday, it overtook Peru to take 17th spot, with 18 countries reporting more than 1,000,000 cases of coronavirus.
- Global case fatality rate: 2.18 percent.
- Five European nations were among the top ten contributors to the pool of new cases yesterday – UK, Turkey, Germany, Switzerland and Italy.
- With the new variant of the SARS-CoV-2 affecting several countries worldwide, the United Kingdom sprung to second spot with more than 40,000 total new cases reported overnight.