Disclosure: All data provided are from the Department of Health’s various information sites including their data drop. Where appropriate, other graphs, illustrations, tables and data are appropriately referenced.
December 09, 2020 (updated)
There are 1,387 newly confirmed cases today. For the first time, the province of Batangas is on top of the leaderboard with 71 cases. Meanwhile, Davao del Norte is a new entrant to the top five of the day with 64 new cases.
There are 7 new deaths reported by the Health Agency today.
It is interesting to note that the daily positivity rate for testing has been on a steady decline and is seeing one of its lowest numbers at 3.9 percent (only 1,038 testing positive from 26,545 individuals tested) in spite of 13 labs not reporting.
Yesterday’s data breakdown
- With 1,400 new cases the other day, Mega Manila continues to be the country’s epicenter, contributing close to one-fourth of the total cases yesterday.
- Four other regions reported triple digits: CALABARZON, Cordillera Administrative Region, Central Luzon and Davao Region.
- Outside of NCR, the province of Benguet hauled in the most cases in a single day.
- Four provinces in CALABARZON—Rizal, Laguna, Cavite and Batangas —continued to contribute to the haul of cases in the region.
- The new entrant among the top ten provinces was Masbate in the Bicol Region with 36 new cases.
- Ten of 17 cities from Mega Manila were among the top twenty cities/municipalities with most cases.
- Davao City topped the list of cities with most cases yesterday. For the first time, a municipality landed in second place, among cities/municipalities with highest cases in a single day.
- Aroroy, a first class municipality in Masbate with close to 90,000 people covering a land area of more than 440 sq km (density of 200 inhabitants/sq km), came in 9th spot with 20 new cases.
With more than 530,000 new cases and close to 10,000 new deaths overnight, the world now crosses the 65,500,000 mark in Covid cases since the beginning of the pandemic.
The United States continues to lead globally in both new cases and new deaths as it crosses the 15,500,000 threshold. The US alone contributes 22.7 percent in cases and 18.8% in deaths in the COVID19 count globally.
There are still 14 countries with more than 1 Million cases each.
- Global case fatality rate: 2.28 percent (remain unchanged).
- Five European nations were among the top ten contributors to the pool of new cases yesterday – Turkey, Germany, Italy, France and UK.
- With a 7-day average close to 7,000 cases/day, Canada officially overtook Pakistan for the 28th spot in the world for coronavirus cases. Only 15,000 cases separate Canada from the Philippines. With the current 7-day average, will Canada overtake the Philippines this weekend?