Disclosure: All data provided are from the Department of Health’s various information sites including their data drop. Where appropriate, other graphs, illustrations, tables and data are appropriately referenced.
October 23, 2020 (updated)
Top five localities (province/HUC/ICC for the day) are:
Fourth day roll for newly announced cases less than 2,000. And less than 30 percent coming from NCR.
The bad news is that there were 132 deaths announced today. Which brings up the case fatality rate to 1.89 percent.
Davao City tops the cities/provinces with the most number of cases today.
Yesterday’s data breakdown
- In spite of the Philippine Red Cross testing less individuals, (only 67 of 797 individuals tested as of Oct 21, 2020 were positive from laboratories of the PRC), the daily positive rate remains at less than 10 percent for almost 7 weeks.
- While NCR continues to chalk up a few more cases than the previous days, there has been a significant decline compared to the four digits reported daily in the past weeks.
- When broken down according to top 20 cities/municipalities, twelve cities in the NCR were included.
- Davao City led among cities/municipalities of top 20 cities with the highest cases on October 22, 2020. It’s the same picture today – two days in a row.
- Five cities in Mindanao were among the top twenty yesterday.
The world has now more than 42,000,000 coronavirus cases.
The world breaks a new world record in total number of cases – almost 480,000 just for a single day.
The United States continued to have the highest number of cases and deaths reported yesterday.
- Global case fatality rate: 2.72 percent
- The 7-day average of new cases is now close to 400,000 cases per day.
- The US remains on top among countries with new cases and new deaths and is likely beginning a third wave.
- Five countries in Europe landed in the top 10 new cases yesterday – France, UK, Spain, Italy and Czechia – as many nations in Europe are battling a very brutal second wave. The least number of new cases in the top ten is now almost 15,000 cases per nation. France has a new record high when it comes to number of cases and will most likely have more than 1,000,000 total cases overnight.
Home to the President of the Republic of the Philippines, Davao City for the first time topped the city with the most number of cases for a single day in the Philippines yesterday and today – two days in a row.
This first class highly urbanized city in Davao del Sur in Mindanao has a total land area of more than 2,400 sq km (four times larger than NCR), and is the third most populous city in the country after Quezon City and Manila.
While Davao City has only a population of more than 1.6 Million (as of the 2015 census), it is least dense compared to NCR. The density in Davao City is 670 inhabitants/sq km compared to NCR which has a density of 23,000/sq km.
The city of Davao is divided into three congressional districts subdivided into 11 administrative districts with a total of 182 barangays.
Nicknamed “Durian Capital of the Philippines”, this eclectic city in the southern part of the country is best known for its flora, fauna and commerce. It also has a vibrant food industry and is home to Malagos Chocolate.