Resorts World Manila admits lapses in security
MANILA - Resorts World Manila admitted on Wednesday that there were lapses in its security when a lone gunman attacked their facilities, causing panic that eventually led to the death of 37 civilians.
In a House probe, Resorts World Chief Operating Officer Stephen Reilly said, upon reviewing CCTV footage, there were spots that should have been manned by security personnel when the armed attacker came.
"I say there's lapses in security. When we played the first videos, I pointed out there should have been security personnel posted on certain points and they were not present. We admit openly there were some lapses in security," he said.
Resorts World Manila President Kingson Sian, however, pointed out that the company was able to execute emergency protocols, which led to the evacuation of thousands of guests during the attack.
A presentation by Sian before the lawmakers shows that Resorts World has 13 fire exits at the 2nd floor, 9 of which are in the gaming area. CCTV footage also showed sprinklers working after the gunman set casino tables ablaze.
Asked what went wrong and why 37 civilians died despite Resorts World's efforts, Sian said fear played a major role as the gunman left a bag of bullets that burned and burst just outside the room where the people suffocated to death.
"In fact, we showed you that naglagay ho ng bag ng bala dun sa table katabi ng kuwarto where a lot of people perished to give the impression na marami hong gunman. Even while the gunman was away from the area, pumuputok po 'yung bala," he said.
Sian said, because of fear that there were still gunmen outside, the people did not leave the room even if the area outside was already burning.
The other thing that created fear during the attack, Sian said, was the explosion of a BMW car that was on display in the 2nd floor.
"Because of the heat, this should be confirmed by the BFP [Bureau of Fire Protection], apparently, parang sumabog yata 'yung tangke," he said, adding that the tires that melted during the fire contributed to the toxicity of the fumes.
The BFP, meanwhile, said they cannot yet confirm Sian's claim as there has not been any fire safety inspection in that area so far.