Duterte: No new Cabinet post for Robredo; Cayetano to head DFA


Posted at Dec 29 2016 05:02 PM | Updated as of Dec 29 2016 05:42 PM

President Rodrigo Duterte said he is not considering giving Vice President Leni Robredo a new post in his Cabinet following the latter's resignation as housing czar.

In an interview with CNN Philippines on Thursday, Duterte said he only "went out of his way" when he offered Robredo a position in his Cabinet.

"Nagmagandang loob lamang ako...I went out of my way really," Duterte said.

He said differences with Robredo stemmed from ouster plots from the "yellows" whom he also called "sore losers."

"Ang problema dito, pag nagdemonstrate sila, andyan yung oust, oust," Duterte said.

The President added that his former running-mate Senator Alan Peter Cayetano will be replacing Perfecto Yasay as head of the Department of Foreign Affairs. He said Yasay was only "borrowed" for the position while Cayetano serves the one-year ban on candidates who lost in the elections.

Cayetano previously hinted at a possible appointment at the DFA next year after the lifting of the election ban.

Asked if there is a Cabinet position waiting for former Senator Bongbong Marcos, Duterte said "I cannot wait for him," noting that there is no position for the younger Marcos at the moment.

During his state visit to China, Duterte introduced Marcos as the next vice president if the latter wins his election protest against Robredo.