Makabayan bloc to Teo: 'Quit!' | ABS-CBN
ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome, Kapamilya! We use cookies to improve your browsing experience. Continuing to use this site means you agree to our use of cookies. Tell me more!
Makabayan bloc to Teo: 'Quit!'
Makabayan bloc to Teo: 'Quit!'
ABS-CBN News
Published May 02, 2018 01:17 PM PHT

MANILA - The Makabayan bloc on Wednesday called on Tourism Secretary Wanda Teo to resign over the controversial P60-million ad placement on her brothers' TV show on state-run PTV-4.
MANILA - The Makabayan bloc on Wednesday called on Tourism Secretary Wanda Teo to resign over the controversial P60-million ad placement on her brothers' TV show on state-run PTV-4.
State auditors last week said there was no memorandum of agreement or contract between PTV-4 and the media outfit of Teo's brothers Ben and Erwin Tulfo to air tourism commercials on their show "Kilos Pronto."
State auditors last week said there was no memorandum of agreement or contract between PTV-4 and the media outfit of Teo's brothers Ben and Erwin Tulfo to air tourism commercials on their show "Kilos Pronto."
The show, produced by Bitag Media Unlimited Inc (BMUI), is a block-timer on the state-run station.
The show, produced by Bitag Media Unlimited Inc (BMUI), is a block-timer on the state-run station.
Teo should have the "delicadeza" or sense of propriety to step down over the issue, Anakpawis party-list Rep. Ariel Casilao, a member of the 7-partylist bloc said in a press conference.
Teo should have the "delicadeza" or sense of propriety to step down over the issue, Anakpawis party-list Rep. Ariel Casilao, a member of the 7-partylist bloc said in a press conference.
ADVERTISEMENT
He argued that the secretary should have urged her brothers to back out of the transaction and ordered another bidding for the contract.
He argued that the secretary should have urged her brothers to back out of the transaction and ordered another bidding for the contract.
ACT Teachers party-list Rep. Antonio Tinio, meanwhile, questioned why the contract with PTV-4 was pricier than the ads aired on bigger media networks.
ACT Teachers party-list Rep. Antonio Tinio, meanwhile, questioned why the contract with PTV-4 was pricier than the ads aired on bigger media networks.
Teo had denied any conflict of interest in the deal, saying the transaction was between DOT and PTV-4, not her brother's media outfit.
Teo had denied any conflict of interest in the deal, saying the transaction was between DOT and PTV-4, not her brother's media outfit.
It was PTV-4's own decision to place the ads in her brothers' show due to its high ratings, she said.
It was PTV-4's own decision to place the ads in her brothers' show due to its high ratings, she said.
The People’s Television Network, Inc for its part said that its P60-million ad payments to Tulfo was supported by documents, including a contract, certificate of performance, budget request and statement on the completion of deliverables.
The People’s Television Network, Inc for its part said that its P60-million ad payments to Tulfo was supported by documents, including a contract, certificate of performance, budget request and statement on the completion of deliverables.
The Commission on Audit has asked the PTV-4 management to submit supporting documents.
The Commission on Audit has asked the PTV-4 management to submit supporting documents.
President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered an investigation into the issue.
President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered an investigation into the issue.
Duterte has fired several high-ranking Cabinet members and government employees amid allegations of corruption. He has repeatedly said he would fire his appointees on a “whiff of corruption.”
Duterte has fired several high-ranking Cabinet members and government employees amid allegations of corruption. He has repeatedly said he would fire his appointees on a “whiff of corruption.”
-- Report from Robert Mano, ABS-CBN News
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT