Some Mindoro fishermen yet to get gov't aid pledged last year
Some fishermen in Mamburao, Occidental Mindoro whose boats were destroyed by big waves last week have yet to receive some of the aid promised to them by the fisheries bureau last year, a local official said Tuesday.
"Hanggang ngayon hindi pa rin nila napamigay iyong mga plywood, epoxy na kailangan ng mga bangkang nasira noong nakaraang taon pa," said Barangay VII Chairman Jimmy Patal.
(Until now, they have not yet given the plywood and epoxy needed to fix the boats destroyed last year.)
Occidental Mindoro in July 2018 declared a state of calamity after the southwest monsoon and tropical depression Josie inundated vast tracts of farmland, sent thousands to evacuation centers and left at least 4 dead.
The labor department gave villagers cash for work, Patal told radio DZMM.
Last Thursday, rough waters stirred by Typhoon Quiel destroyed several boats in Mamburao and neighboring San Jose town, as well as 50 to 60 houses in Paluan town, local officials said.
Palauan on Monday declared a state of calamity to tap emergency funds. The town has received pledges of aid, said Mayor Carl Pangilinan.
"Sana po hindi mangyari iyong ganoon na puro pangako lang dahil po talagang ang aking bayan nangangailangan ng tulong," he said in a separate DZMM interview.
(I hope these will no remain as promises because my town really needs help.)
A new brewing storm will dump rains in several parts of the country on Tuesday, said state weather bureau PAGASA.
DZMM, November 12, 2019