Typhoon-mauled Cagayan awaits NFA rice stocks

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Sep 18 2018 09:22 AM | Updated as of Sep 23 2019 05:09 PM

Watch also in iWant or TFC.tv

Stocks of government subsidized rice in Cagayan have been depleted, its governor said Tuesday as the province starts its recovery from the onslaught of typhoon Ompong (Mangkhut).

Ompong, the world's strongest storm so far this year, made landfall in Cagayan on Saturday, peeling off the roofs of some buildings and inundating vast tracts of rice and corn fields, just weeks away from harvest.

Cagayan expects to receive 10,000 rice bags from the National Food Authority on Tuesday, said Governor Manuel Mamba.

"Hopefully po, ma-distribute namin iyan agad dahil talaga pong ito po iyung alam kong talagang kaagad-agad na maitutulong natin sa ating mga farmers na talagang nasalanta," he told radio DZMM.

(Hopefully, we can distribute that immediately because I know that this is how we can readily help farmers who were the worst hit by the typhoon.)

Cagayan earlier declared a state of calamity, which would allow officials to tap emergency funds and impose a prize freeze on basic goods.

Five residents of the province were confirmed to have been killed by Mangkhut, said Mamba.

DZMM, 18 September 2018