Mangkhut leaves 10 dead in Baguio - mayor

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Sep 18 2018 09:37 AM | Updated as of Sep 29 2019 04:12 PM

Watch also in iWantTFC

Authorities have recovered the remains of 10 people believed to have been killed when typhoon Mangkhut pummeled Baguio City with fierce winds and rains, Mayor Mauricio Domogan said Tuesday. 

Majority of the fatalities fell victim to landslides while some drowned or were hit by falling debris, Domogan told radio DZMM. 

Rescuers were still searching for 4 missing, he said. 

Mangkhut, the world's strongest storm so far this year, dumped over a month's worth of rains in Baguio last Saturday, Domogan earlier said. 

The typhoon also forced tens of thousands into evacuation centers and swamped farms across northern Luzon, which produces much of the nation's rice and corn. 

In Baguio alone, which attracts thousands of tourists every year, Mangkhut left P133 million worth of damage to infrastructure, said Domogan. 

Agriculture Secretary Emmanuel Piñol has promised to double the "limited" stocks of government-subsidized rice in the city, as it recovers from the storm, its mayor said. 

DZMM, 18 September 2018