'Nagasta na': Wanda Teo says brother already spent P60-M

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Aug 14 2018 01:55 PM | Updated as of Aug 14 2018 03:49 PM

Watch more on iWantTFC

The Tulfo brothers should not return the P60-million payment they received for running tourism ads on their television show, their sister, former Tourism Secretary Wanda Teo said Tuesday, contradicting an earlier announcement by her lawyer. 

Teo's legal counsel, Fernando Topacio, announced in May that the siblings would return the money from the deal, which state auditors flagged for supposed lack of contract and possible conflict of interest. But her brother, Ben Tulfo, said last month that they will not do so. 

Asked at a Senate hearing if her siblings should return the money, Teo said pointblank, "Hindi." 

"Natapos na po kasi ang kontrata. Nagastos na po iyung pera... saan kukunin ang pera pambayad?" she reasoned. 

(The contract has been completed. The money has been spent. Where will the money come from?) 

She also revealed that her brother was initially open to the idea of returning the money but changed his mind. 

"Sabi niya titingnan niya kung saan kukunin 'yung pera. Titingnan niya kung saan kukunin 'yung pera kasi nagasta na niya ang pera," she said. 

Tulfo, meanwhile, questioned why they should return the money when they have "faithfully delivered" their obligations. 

"Returning the money is tantamount to saying that we did something illegal," he said. 

Topacio claimed the siblings would return the money even after Tulfo told him that he would have to consult lawyers first, the broadcaster said. 

"Nagsalita na s'ya sa media without an approval because he's not representing for me, he's representing Wanda. And that would be tantamount to what? Conspiracy," he said. 

ANC, 14 August 2018