Boracay's October re-opening still a go - DILG

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jul 18 2018 11:24 AM | Updated as of Jul 04 2019 03:58 PM

Watch also in iWant or TFC.tv

Boracay is on track to re-open in October, half a year after it was shuttered to give way to the rehabilitation of its sewerage system and the removal of illegal structures, the Department of the Interior and Local Government said Wednesday.

The famous holiday island was closed to tourists on April 26 after President Rodrigo Duterte branded it as a "cesspool."

"Per [Environment] Secretary [Roy] Cimatu na madalas po sa Boracay, it's still on the go po tayo sa October 26 na target," DILG Undersecretary Epimaco Densing told radio DZMM.

Authorities, he said, were still demolishing illegal structures that have breached the 30-meter easement zone, including part of the West Cove resort, whose management will be summoned to a senate inquiry on Boracay's rehabilation.

Water quality has also started to improve in the island's Bulabog Beach, which had been fouled by sewage water, he said.

DZMM, 18 July 2018