Navotas under lockdown, virus spreads among families: mayor
Posted at Jul 14 2020 02:55 PM | Updated as of Jul 14 2020 03:21 PM
MANILA — The entire city of Navotas has been placed under 14-day lockdown as the novel coronavirus continued to spread, particularly among families, Mayor Toby Tiangco said Tuesday.
In an interview with ABS-CBN Teleradyo, Tiangco said they recorded 74 and 75 new cases of COVID-19 in the city last Friday and Saturday, respectively.
"Hindi po siya galing sa isang barangay pero, kaya lang na-notice namin po na pami-pamilya po, kung minsan tatlo sa isang pamilya, lima sa isang pamilya, so, nagkakahawaan po within the family,” the mayor told ABS-CBN Teleradyo.
(The cases of COVID-19 did not only came from one barangay but we noticed that it was among families, sometimes three, sometimes five in each family, so infection occurred among families.)
The mayor said the 14-day lockdown was recommended by Health Secretary Francisco Duque III.
The Philippines' fishing capital chief explained that they placed the city under lockdown for 14 days as recommended by the country’s health chief.
“Sinabi na po ‘yan ni Secretary [Francisco Duque III] na kahit anong lockdown, street lockdown, barangay lockdown hindi po epektibo ‘yong less than 14 days lang. Dapat po ‘pag nag-lockdown is dapat po 14 days,” Tiangco said.
(Secretary Francisco Duque III said that any type of lockdown whether street or barangay, it will not be effective if it is less than 14 days. When you place an area under lockdown it should be 14 days.)
“Nung nag-lockdown kami ng per barangay, street, doon naman sa hindi naka-lockdown, doon dumarami [ang kaso ng COVID-19] so para kang habol nang habol,” he added.
(When barangays or streets were under strict measures, cases of COVID-19 not under lockdown rise, we are always catching up.)
The city mayor said residents will still be allowed to go to work even if it is outside the area as long as they show proof and follow health protocols.
He added that work in Navotas or delivery of goods will still be allowed but food delivery will be prohibited.
The 14-day city-wide lockdown started Monday as the number of cases of COVID-19 rise in the city.
Tiangco earlier said the city's isolation facilities were full as he reported 31 residents tested positive for the virus on Sunday. He added that patients will be brought to quarantine facilities at the World Trade Center at Philippine Arena.
Last week, he put a part of Barangay Bangculasi under lockdown to limit virus transmission after it reported 7 COVID-19 cases.
The city, dubbed the "Commercial Fishing Hub of the Philippines," has the third largest fish port in Asia. In early May, it was placed under “extreme enhanced community quarantine” (EECQ) to prevent the spread of the pandemic.
Teleradyo, Navotas, COVID-19, coronavirus, lockdown, city-wide lockdown, Toby TIangco