Virus forces Cebu to shelve preparations for 500th anniversary of PH Christianity

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jun 25 2020 08:47 AM

Watch also in iWantTFC

The coronavirus pandemic has forced Cebu City to shelve preparations for next year's 500th anniversary of the introduction of Christianity there by Spanish colonizers, Mayor Edgardo Labella said Friday.

King Felipe VI of Spain was "scheduled to come" to the festivities, while Pope Francis was also invited, Labella said.

"We are in the thick of preparation... All of these things are being shelved because of this pandemic," he told ABS-CBN's TeleRadyo.

President Rodrigo Duterte last week placed Cebu City back under the strictest lockdown that limits economic activity after COVID-19 cases there breached the 4,400-mark.

On Monday, he ordered Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu, a former military chief, to oversee the quarantine of the city.

TeleRadyo, June 25, 2020