Philippines to probe death of Briton turned away by local hospital

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jun 22 2020 09:29 AM

Watch also in iWantTFC

MANILA -- The Philippines will investigate the death of a British national after he was allegedly turned away by a local hospital in whose resources were stretched by the coronavirus pandemic, Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. said Monday. 

The Mandaue City hospital was "already full" when it advised the foreigner to transfer to another facility in neighboring Cebu City. He waited in an ambulance for 8 hours and passed away "without complaining", said Locsin. 

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III "is gonna look into it," he said. 

President Rodrigo Duterte last week placed Cebu City back under the country's strictest form of lockdown -- enhanced community quarantine -- due to a spike in COVID-19 cases.

Locsin said he received reports that the lockdown in Cebu was "not being well observed." 


ANC, June 22, 2020