Navotas remains free of COVID-19 despite class suspension: mayor

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Mar 09 2020 12:29 PM

Watch also in iWant or TFC.tv

Navotas Mayor Toby Tiangco said his decision to cancel classes on Monday was not due to the novel coronavirus since there is no COVID-19 case in the city. 

Tiangco said he suspended March 9 classes in all levels in the city so he could discuss with education officials his proposal to give students passing grades and no longer require them to attend the last 10 days of the school year before summer break. 

"Itong desisyon na ito ay hindi dahil may COVID-19 case sa Navotas... Wala hong COVID-19 case sa Navotas," he told DZMM. 

(This decision is not because there is a COVID-19 case in Navotas. There is no COVID-19 case in Navotas.) 

The health department so far confirmed 10 cases of the disease in the country, including an incident of local transmission. 

President Rodrigo Duterte is also due to formally issue a state of public health emergency later in the day, according to Malacanang.

COVID-19 has killed 3,792 people while infecting more than 109,000 worldwide. 

DZMM, March 9, 2020