Aquino backs suspension of Dengvaxia drive

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Feb 26 2018 01:10 PM

Watch also in iWant or TFC.tv

Former president Benigno Aquino III on Monday said he supports the suspension of a program that administered the controversial anti-dengue vaccine Dengvaxia to thousands of children during his administration. 

French drug maker Sanofi late last year disclosed that Dengvaxia could cause "more cases of severe disease" if administered to those who have not had the mosquito-borne illness before. This prompted the government to suspend its public immunization program.

"Baligtad na baligtad [ito] doon sa sinabi nila (Sanofi) noong una. Sa dudang iyun, sa baligtarang sagot, dapat ihinto dahil parang hindi kaalinsunod sa deka-dekadang sinasabing mga pagsusuri at mga resultang ipinakita," Aquino told a House hearing into the issue. 

(This contradicts what they said before. Due to the doubt over this contradicting statement, the program should be stopped because it does not follow decades' worth of research and results.) 

DZMM, 26 February 2018