Water supply cut stays to avoid another summer outage: regulator

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Feb 20 2020 11:15 AM

Watch also in iWantTFC

The water allocation for Metro Manila will stay lower than normal to avoid a repeat of last summer's supply shortage that brought misery to more than a million households, regulators said Thursday. 

Authorities cannot increase the water allocation for houses to the normal 46 cubic meters per second from the current 40 m³/s because Angat Dam, Metro Manila's main water source, was still below its normal operating level, said National Water Resources Board Executive Director Sevillo David Jr. 

The allocation for agriculture meanwhile will stay at about half of the normal 40 m³/s, he added. 

"Mula pa noong Enero e mababa na po, tinipid na po natin para may karampatang suplay tayo sa mga susunod na buwan at hindi po mangyari iyong kagaya ng nakaraang tao na nagkaroon talaga ng matinding kakulangan ng tubig," he told DZMM. 

(Since January, we have been conserving the supply so it will be enough for the next months and we won't experience a repeat of the severe water shortage last year.) 

The water shortage last summer affected some 1.2 million households in the east zone of Metro Manila, serviced by Ayala-led Manila Water. 

The concessionaire attributed the problem to increased demand, lack of rains, delays in infrastructure projects supposed to boost supply, and the declining level of the La Mesa Dam, its emergency resource. 
 
DZMM, Feb. 20, 2020