Ombudsman demands Dengvaxia clinical trial documents - DOH

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jan 25 2018 10:02 AM | Updated as of Jul 23 2019 01:05 PM

Watch also in iWantTFC

The Office of the Ombudsman has directed the Department of Health to submit documents on the clinical trial of the controversial dengue vaccine, Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said Thursday. 

"Kinukumpleto namin ang mga dokumento kasi mayroong utos ang Ombudsman na isumite lahat ng mga dokumentong ito," Duque told DZMM. 

(We are collating the documents because the Ombudsman has asked for them.)

The Ombudsman is investigating murder, plunder and graft complaints against former President Benigno Aquino III and several allies for approving a P3.5-billion program to administer Dengvaxia to public school children. 

The vaccination campaign was rolled out in 2016, over a year before the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine and French drug maker Sanofi Pasteur completed their clinical study on Dengvaxia, Duque noted. 

The clinical study, completed in September 2017, showed that Dengvaxia may worsen dengue if administered to those who have not had the mosquito-borne disease, Sanofi had disclosed late last year, prompting the government to suspend the immunization program. 

DZMM, 25 January 2018