Trillanes hits Binay: Lamest excuse I've heard

Posted at Nov 11 2014 12:32 PM | Updated as of Nov 11 2014 08:32 PM

Watch more News on iWantTFC

MANILA - Vice President Jejomar Binay's decision to back out of the November 27 debate with Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV because he did not want to be seen as a bully does not sit well with the senator.

"That's the lamest excuse you can get from anyone. For someone like him na gustong-gustong bumawi, that was the best opportunity to put me in my place," Trillanes said in an interview on ANC.

"No one is going to buy that," he added.

The senator said he had expected Binay to back out of the debate but still decided to study in case the event pushed through.

He said that he was hoping that the vice president would keep his word and find the courage to go to the debate.

Binay first challenged Trillanes to a debate after the senator accused him of various corruption allegations including ownership of a 350-hectare estate in Rosario, Batangas.

Trillanes then accepted the challenge; with both camps agreeing to a November 27 date for the event.

However, Binay backed out of the debate because he did not like that Trillanes was trying to paint himself as the underdog in the debate.

For his part, Trillanes said the Binay camp had already laid out the ground for an eventual pull-out from the debate.

He said he cannot believe that the vice president would blame him for the debate not pushing through.

"Even if I didn't speak at all, I will tell you they will come up with a reason not to come to the debate. It is one lie after the other. If you review your tapes and listen to all of those statemens of the spokesmen, you will see how many lies...They are taking us for a ride," he said.

"It is his loss. He is going to be crucified for this and he practically destroyed any credibility he has left," he said.

He also said reporters were merely stating a fact that Binay would have an advantage in the debate since the vice president is a lawyer while Trillanes is a soldier.

Trillanes pointed out that Binay even made demands to the KBP including the chance to give both the opening and closing statements in the debate.

ANC, NOVEMBER 11, 2014