Cavite awaits greenlight for new airport terminal, runways: governor

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jul 17 2019 10:29 AM

Watch also in iWant or TFC.tv

Cavite province is waiting for the transportation department's go signal for the construction of another terminal and 4 more runways at Sangley Airport, which would decongest the capital's gateway, Governor Jonvic Remulla said Wednesday.

The national government has started building a makeshift terminal and modernizing an existing runway, but these can only cater to small aircraft, said Remulla.

The governor said there are no roads leading to the terminal. Ferries have no fixed schedule for trips to the area, he added.

"Panandaliang solusyon pa lang po iyan... Ang maibabawas lang po sa NAIA (Ninoy Aquino International Airport) natin ngayon ay 20 percent lang," he told radio DZMM.

(That is just a temporary solution. We can only ease congestion at the NAIA by 20 percent.)

Cavite's proposed new terminal and runways, which require the reclamation of some 1,450 hectares of land, would have a capacity of 100 million passengers yearly, Remulla said.

"Nag-final petition na po kami sa DOTR, hinihintay na lang po namin aksyunan. Ang DOTR po kasi ang magbibigay ng notice to proceed," he said.

(We have made a final petition to the DOTR, we are just waiting for them to act on it. The DOTR is in charge of giving the notice to proceed.)

President Rodrigo Duterte earlier said he wants Sangley Airport to start servicing domestic flights by November, following his surprise inspection at NAIA due to reports of flight delays and cancellations last month.

DZMM, July 17, 2019