PBA eyes boosting presence in China, says league chairman

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Nov 22 2019 09:03 PM

PBA chairman Ricky Vargas wants to enhance the live-viewer experience next season. Jonathan Cellona, ABS-CBN News/file

MANILA, Philippines—The PBA's 45th season will feature a new set of officers, but the chairmanship remains as TNT team representative Ricky Vargas was re-elected to a third straight term.

Columbian Dyip's Bobby Rosales and Blackwater Elite's Silliman Sy, meanwhile, were elected vice chairman and treasurer, respectively. Atty. Melvin Mendoza, the board's long-time secretary and legal counsel, retained his post.

One of Vargas' plans is to strengthen league presence in China.

"This year, we launched our initial foray outside the Philippines and that market is huge. We must harness that potential," he said.

Vargas' other plans include:

  •  Ramping up the PBA's online presence, "which has been returning very encouraging numbers";
  •  Further cementing the leagues' relationship with the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas, the sport's national governing body, for the Gilas program;
  •  Launching the PBA 3x3 competition;
  • Continuing the PBA outreach programs to give back to the community;
  •  Enhancing the PBA live viewer experience by continuing to innovate and;
  •  Improving the lot of PBA players by giving them opportunities through clinics on financial management, entrepreneurship, family relations and retirement preparation.



The PBA Board also agreed, during its regular meeting on Thursday, to extend the deadline for Filipino-foreign players who intend to apply for the 2019 PBA Rookie Draft.

The deadline was previously set on Oct. 23, but has been extended to Nov. 29, which coincides with the deadline for local applicants.

PBA Commissioner Willie Marcial said the move will give a chance to Fil-foreign players who did not meet the previous deadline as they were still working on their papers.

The Rookie Draft is set on Dec. 8 at Robinsons Place in Manila.

In the same gathering, the board also tasked the Commissioner’s Office to launch the Tatluhan sa PBA Tournament in cooperation with the SBP starting next season.

Commissioner Willie Marcial also said that the league’s 12 clubs will select players for their respective Tatluhan sa PBA teams. The tournament will be open to all applicants with no age limit, including all undrafted applicants for the 2019 Rookie Draft and the 2020 PBA D-League Draft.

A separate Draft will be held specifically for the Tatluhan sa PBA Tournament. Once selected, players will have a chance to be a part of a PBA team either as a practice player or as part of its active PBA roster.

The initial plan is to hold the Tatluhan throughout the year.

For more sports coverage, visit the ABS-CBN Sports website.