Chot Reyes said on his social-media accounts on Tuesday that he is relinquishing his position as head coach of the Philippine men's national basketball team.
“The (Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas) wishes to thank Chot Reyes for his dedication and service to the national team. We appreciate all the sacrifices you have given for the sake of flag and country,” said Al Panlilio, president of the sport’s national governing body.
Last year, the SBP secured rights to co-host the 2023 FIBA World Cup with Indonesia and Japan and it has a program in place called “23 for ’23,” which aims to develop a select group of players in time for that tournament. The program is Reyes’ brainchild.
Reyes last coached the national team, nicknamed Gilas Pilipinas, on July 2 when the Philippines lost 89-53 to Australia in a 2019 FIBA World Cup qualifying game at Philippine Arena in Bocaue, Bulacan.
That game was called late in the third quarter after a free-for-all erupted between the two sides, which led to FIBA ordering the suspension of 10 Filipino players, assistant coach Jong Uichico and Reyes.
Reyes’ suspension, set at one game, was to cover just the Philippines’ trip to Tehran, the start of the second round of World Cup qualifiers.
But the SBP tapped Yeng Guiao to coach the Filipinos away to Iran on Thursday, then Qatar at Araneta Coliseum on Monday.
Manny Pangilinan, SBP chairman emeritus, had hinted after Guiao and the Philippines’ stint at the Asian Games that Guiao could permanently take over as head coach.
(For more sports coverage, visit the ABS-CBN Sports website.)