With Floyd Mayweather Jr. adding millions more to his already stout bank account following a 10-round demolition of Conor McGregor on Sunday, it is highly unlikely that Manny Pacquiao will ever get the rematch he once doggedly pursued against “Money May.”
Mayweather pocketed roughly $250 million in his 2015 battle with Pacquiao and stands to earn about the same amount for the McGregor fight.
"This was my last fight," the 40-year-old Mayweather said in the post-match interview.
He acknowledged that he came out of his two-year retirement just to fight McGregor, adding that he also wanted to make up for his “safety first” performance in the Pacquiao fight which he won via unanimous decision.
“I think we gave the fans what they wanted to see,” Mayweather said, referring to the way he methodically cut down the bigger McGregor.
“I owed them for the Pacquiao fight. I had to come straight ahead and give the fans a show. That's what I gave them.”
Pacquiao, on the other hand, has expressed his desire to fight Mayweather again. That was until he got beat by Brisbane native Jeff Horn last month.
With Mayweather riding into the sunset and Pacquiao planning to lock horns again with the Australian champion, the sequel Pacquiao had hoped for may never happen now.
After Mayweather's victory Saturday, Pacquiao congratulated his former opponent.
(For more sports coverage, visit the ABS-CBN Sports website.)