Pacquiao to rest for remainder of 2019, but assures he won't retire soon

Dennis Gasgonia, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jul 28 2019 05:38 PM

Manny Pacquiao greets the crowd on his way to the studio for his guesting on 'ASAP Natin 'To.' Michael Bagtas, ABS-CBN News

MANILA -- Filipino boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao maintained that he will be staying away from the boxing ring for a while as he buckles down to work in the Senate.

"Definitely no more this year... but early part of next year," he said during his visit to ABS-CBN on Sunday.

The boxer-senator, who recently became the undisputed WBA welterweight champion by beating Keith Thurman last week, said there's a lot to be done as he plunges back to legislative work.

Among the issues he wanted to tackle is the revival of the death penalty, the establishment of a department concerning homeland security, and the government budget.

This, however, doesn't mean he will be leaving boxing for good.

"Retirement? Wala pa... malakas pa ako. Iniisip ko pa lang 'yun e nalulungkot na ako," Pacquiao said in jest.

The 8-division champion recently defied his age yet again with a clinical beating of a 30-year-old Thurman, an elite champion 10 years younger than him.

The 40-year-old Pacquiao said he has trained smart for the fight, knowing that the recovery period for someone his age is different.

"'Yung recovery ko is not like when I'm younger," he said. "Dati almost overnight, recovered na agad ako sa training ko."

Although he has yet to name a possible opponent for next year, Pacquiao said he would like to watch the Errol Spence-Shawn Porter fight in September.

The "Pacman" was given a warm welcome at ABS-CBN on Sunday as he guested on the variety show "ASAP Natin 'To."

He later met with network executives before holding a series of interviews.

For more sports coverage, visit the ABS-CBN Sports website.