MANILA--Jerwin Ancajas' camp is thrilled by the possibility that the Filipino IBF world junior bantamweight champion could be lined up to fight newly crowned WBA titlist Joshua Franco of the US.
Top Rank Inc. CEO Bob Arum is planning to work out the fight with Golden Boy Promotions, which handles Franco.
"Excited na excited kami," said Ancajas' manager-coach Joven Jimenez of the possible title unification.
"Nakita namin ang laro ni Franco noong nakaraan. Gustong-gustong makalaban ni Jerwin."
Franco wrested the WBA title from previously unbeaten Andrew Moloney of Australia in a bruising match last June 23.
Franco (17-1-2, 8 KOs) knocked down Moloney in the 11th round, enabling the American to win on points.
“This kid Franco who beat Andrew Moloney, he and Ancajas would be a tremendous fight,” Arum said in an article posted on RingTV.com.
Arum is confident he can work out a deal with Golden Boy.
“Golden Boy and ourselves interchange fighters, we did this even before the coronavirus. We have a good relationship with them,” Arum said.
Ancajas and Jimenez both saw Franco's latest win.
"Magaling 'yung Franco at parang Mexican 'yung style niya. Talagang suntukan ang hanap," said Jimenez.
"Pero hindi kami pwedeng magkumpiyansa kapag nagkataon, kasi magaling magpatama."
Meanwhile, MP Promotions president Sean Gibbon is now just waiting for the US Embassy in the Philippines to open to have Ancajas' visa processed.
It is the only thing Ancajas needs before flying out to the US.
The US Embassy has been temporarily closed due to the pandemic.
“(Ancajas) has got his visa approved for now,” Gibbons said. “Until (the embassy) opens to get the final stamp, there’s no leaving.”
For more sports coverage, visit the ABS-CBN Sports website.