The 2-year-old girl who was struck by a foul ball at Minute Maid Park during a Houston Astros game last month sustained a fractured skull and continues to suffer seizures, an attorney hired by the girl's family revealed to the Houston Chronicle on Wednesday.
Houston area lawyer Richard Mithoff provided the Chronicle with hospital records showing the child had a fractured skull, associated subdural bleeding, brain contusions and brain edema after being hit by a foul ball off the bat of Chicago Cubs outfielder Albert Almora Jr. on May 29. Mithoff said the child continues to have seizures and has an abnormal electroencephalogram reading.
"It's too early to tell what kind of residual (damage) there may be, but any time there is a fractured skull and bleeding of the brain involved, it's a serious matter," Mithoff said. "She is receiving excellent care, and everyone is hoping and praying for the very best."
Mithoff said a lawsuit has not been filed in the case, but he has informed the Astros that he has been retained by the family.
"The Astros' risk management representative reached out to the family, and now that the family is represented by counsel, I wanted to let the other side know that I am involved so that they can get in touch with me," Mithoff told the Chronicle. "It's not unusual to let the other party know when one party has retained counsel."
The Astros said Tuesday they are looking at options to expand protective netting along the stands by the first- and third-base lines, but they do not plan to make any changes this season.
All teams expanded netting at least as far as each dugout to start the 2018 season, based on recommendations from MLB. The Washington Nationals, Chicago White Sox and Los Angeles Dodgers have recently announced plans to add netting all the way out to each foul pole.
"I think that fan safety has to be first and foremost, and the issue needs to be addressed as soon as practical," Mithoff told the Chronicle. "I am confident the Astros will do the right thing and do it, hopefully, in due course."
For more than a decade, all major league tickets have included a disclaimer that states the ticket holder is responsible for "all risk and danger incidental to the baseball game" and any resulting injuries incurred at the stadium.
--Field Level Media
For more sports coverage, visit the ABS-CBN Sports website.