A year after his highly publicized mixed martial arts “fight” with Baron Geisler, Kiko Matos has decided to become a professional MMA fighter.
URCC founder and president Alvin Aguilar says so in his Facebook post. “Kiko has been training really hard as he genuinely wants to fight as a pro now,” Aguilar said. “Those who follow Kiko know and can attest to how serious he has been taking his MMA and Jiu-jitsu training.”
Aguilar said Matos was supposed to go pro shortly after his “bigwasan” match with Geisler, but the actor decided to postpone it after sustaining an injury.
“Now that he has healed, and expressed his intention to fight pro, we are giving him a chance to fight. His intended opponent was and is not Baron. We did that last year and we all had our fun,” Aguilar said.
Matos and Geisler figured in a much-publicized showdown in June 2016 in front of a packed Valkyrie club at Bonifacio Global City in Taguig. The bout ended in a draw.
Months later, the two actors said the verbal spat leading to the bout was merely a “social experiment.” However, they said the fight itself was real.
Aguilar added that Geisler even attended the URCC press conference wherein they announced Matos’ plan to go pro.
“After their fight, they made several public appearances together and have always been OK. Today, when Baron walked in the presscon, I was very happy as he came to support us and he always adds a lot of flavor and character to the proceedings,” Aguilar said.
Meanwhile, the URCC also announced it expansion to China aside from planning a local event on August 12 at Araneta coliseum.
For more sports coverage, visit the ABS-CBN Sports website.