MANILA, Philippines -- Philippine men's volleyball team star Bryan Bagunas is now one of the growing numbers of overseas Filipino workers and balikbayans stranded in hotels and other isolation facilities waiting for their swab test results.
Bagunas told ABS-CBN Sports Wednesday night that he arrived from Japan last week and has been staying in a hotel in Quezon City since May 15.
Bagunas, who plays for Oita Miyoshi Weiss Adler in the Japan V-Premier League, was tested for the coronavirus (COVID-19) at the NAIA Terminal 1.
New arrivals from abroad are required to undergo swab tests and have to wait for their test results and clearance to be able to return home.
The 30th Southeast Asian Games silver medalist said that while he understands the government’s safety measures, he’s just concerned about the duration of getting their test results.
“Sa Japan naman hindi naman ganoon kahigpitm pero dito sa atin pagka-arrive ko mayroong procedure talaga. Pero maganda rin naman ang ginagawa nila sa procedure kasi mas mababantayan talaga yung mga bumabalik kung sino ang infected,” said the two-time UAAP champion.
“Sa post nila sa social media 2-4 days (lalabas ang result) tapos nung tumawag ako 3-5 days naman daw. Naguguluhan lang ako,” added Bagunas.
And while waiting for the test result, his hotel bill is piling up.
The open spiker returned to the country after the tournament where he was supposed to play was cancelled due to the pandemic.
Bagunas plans to fly back to Japan in August or September.
This story originally appeared on the ABS-CBN Sports website.