MANILA, Philippines - The pay-per-view (PPV) buys for the May 7 welterweight title fight between Manny Pacquiao and Shane Mosley could reach at least 1.2 million buys, according to the chief of Top Rank, the company that promoted the fight.
Bob Arum, Top Rank Inc. CEO, said the PPV buys in Pacquiao’s latest fight could match the estimated 1.2 million buys the Filipino generated during his match against Antonio Margarito last November, according to New York Times.com.
Pacquiao defeated Mosley by unanimous decision to retain his Word Boxing Organization (WBO) welterweight title in Las Vegas last Saturday (Sunday in Manila).
Unlike Pacquiao’s previous fights aired by cable giant Home Box Office (HBO), the Pacquiao-Mosley bout was distributed by Showtime PPV, and was heavily promoted by CBS, a major US television network.
Arum said the airing of Pacquiao’s fight through Showtime was an effort to market boxing through terrestrial television.
The Top Rank chief said he expects the exact PPV numbers to come in by the end of the week.
Pacquiao, so far, has generated 7.45 million buys in 13 PPV fights.
Bulk of the buys came from his last 5 fights: Margarito (1.2 million buys) Joshua Clottey (700,000 buys), Miguel Cotto (1.2 million buys), Ricky Hatton (800,000 buys), and Oscar de la Hoya (1.25 million buys).
For more news about Pacquiao, visit the Pacquiao-Mosley microsite.