Defeated British champion Ricky Hatton has admitted that he is still grieving over his shocking second-round knock-out loss to Manny Pacquiao last week in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Hatton said in a report by UK’s Daily Star that he remains devastated by the loss, his biggest in 47 fights.
“I didn’t think I could cry any more than after the Floyd Mayweather Jr. loss but I certainly have,” he said in the report.
Hatton’s first career loss was in the hands of Mayweather, who disposed him in the 10th round of their fight in 2007.
Pacquiao, however, gave him a much more savage beating last week when he knocked the Brit out in just two rounds.
“He knocked me down from practically the first punch he threw and I never recovered… Maybe if I had gone a few rounds I could have won but there was nothing I could do about it,” said Hatton.
The British star is expected to give a final answer to questions about his retirement when he opens his new boxing gym in Hyde on Tuesday.
Several analysts said that Hatton might as well hang his gloves after his loss to Pacquiao.
Even his trainer Floyd Mayweather Sr. said it's high time for the British boxer to leave the sport.
"I would suggest he retire. At the end of the day it's his decision," said Mayweather Sr.. "He tried twice. He failed twice. He lost to my son and to lose to someone below that, it's time to leave the ring."
"He made a good profit. Sometimes, you have to go when your prime is still there," he added.
Not yet, Pacman says
Pacquiao, who took away Hatton’s International Boxing Organization (IBO) and Ring Magazine junior welterweight titles, saw otherwise.
“Para sa akin, puwede pa naman siyang lumaban. Ganun talaga ang boxing, may panalo, may talo [For me, he can still box. That's the thing with boxing, sometimes you win, sometimes lose],” Pacquiao said.
Pacquiao reasoned that Hatton is only 30 years old and still has what it takes to make it in the ring.