LAS VEGAS, Nevada – The Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) has approved Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao's application for a license to fight in Las Vegas for his May 2 fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Because of Pacquiao's hectic training schedule in Los Angeles, he completed his application by phone, and talked long distance with the five commissioners.
Boxers fighting in the state of Nevada have to go through the process of application to be approved by the NSAC, which has comprehensive requirements for both boxers and mixed martial arts fighters.
Pacquiao said he is delighted to fight again in the boxing capital of the world.
NSAC chairman Cisco Aguilar said they have yet to decide the judges and the referee for the May 2 fight. The commission was on the hot seat following the June 2012 Pacquiao-Timothy Bradley bout, which the judges scored in the American's favor.
"We are all excited, and we are ready, and we will do what we need to do to ensure that everything is perfect," said Aguilar.
"I understand some of those concerns, but I think over the last year and a half, we've made some changes to our process, and also have worked really hard to ensure that all judges that will take part of this fight will be up to the task," he added.
Aguilar added that although this mega-fight is the biggest in the history of boxing, NSAC won't be swayed into picking a favorite.
"I think it's pretty critical, but I think we are not gonna deviate from the processes that was viewed from the past year and a half," he said.
Mayweather is scheduled to get his boxing application next month.
According to the commission, this will be the 16th time Pacquiao will fight in Nevada. NSAC assured fight fans all over the world that they will be fair in handling the "Fight of the Century."