El Joshua Carino took advantage of the help provided by his Navy-Standard Insurance teammates to secure victory in Stage 5 of Ronda Pilipinas that started in Echague town, Isabela and ended in front of the San Jose city hall in Nueva Ecija on Thursday.
The 24-year-old towed the first group that broke away early and was the same person who instigated the action in the final 6 kilometers that allowed teammates Ronald Oranza and reigning champion Jan Paul Morales to go into the final 2-km stretch on top.
But Oranza and Morales waited for Carino to catch up and get the stage win approaching the finish line as all three Navy riders clocked 4 hours, 6 minutes and 58 seconds.
The finish kept Oranza comfortably perched atop the standings with an aggregate time of 17:40:13, with Morales a little less than 5 minutes off the pace at second with a total clocking of 17:45:12.
Rounding up the top 10 are
3. Jay Lampawog (Go for Gold Development) - 17:48:56
4. Cris Joven (Army-Bicycology) - 17:51:16
5. Ronald Lomotos (Navy-Standard) - 17:51:35.
6. Irish Valenzuela (CCN Superteam) - 17:52:34
7. Ronnel Hualda (Go for Gold Developmental) - 17:52:34
8. John Mark Camingao (Navy-Standard) - 17:54:26
9. Rudy Roque (Navy-Standard) - 17:55:04
10. Leonel Dimaano (Team Franzia) - 17:55:10
Thursday's results also kept Navy at the helm in the overall team race with 70:54:59, almost half an hour ahead of Go for Gold Developmental team. Army-Bicycology came in third.
For more sports coverage, visit the ABS-CBN Sports website.