NBA admits blown call denied T-Wolves last chance

Agence France-Presse

Posted at Jan 01 2014 11:37 AM | Updated as of Jan 01 2014 07:37 PM

NEW YORK - Referees erred by not calling a foul on Dallas with one second remaining in the Mavericks 100-98 victory Monday at Minnesota, NBA Basketball Operations president Rod Thorn said Tuesday.

The blunder denied the Timberwolves a chance for two free throws that would have tied the game with one second to play in the fourth quarter.

The situation came when Minnesota's Kevin Love took an inbounds pass near the sideline, turned and attempted a shot and was struck on the right arm by Shawn Marion of the Mavericks.

No foul was whistled by the referees and the clock expired with the Mavericks on top, an outcome that will not be reversed despite the video review that supported T-Wolves' claims that Love should have been sent to the free throw line.

"Through postgame video review, we have determined that Minnesota's Kevin Love was fouled on the right arm by Dallas' Shawn Marion while attempting a two-point field goal," Thorn said.

"Love should have been awarded two free throws with one second left on the clock."

After the play and the final buzzer, Love was still standing on the baseline staring ahead in disbelief that no foul was called on Marion.

"I thought it was pretty obvious," Love said. "Just look at the replay. If you look at the replay it was obvious that he got arm.

"I didn't know how to react. I couldn't yell at (the referee). That wasn't going to do anything. I just walked off the court with my head up."

Players and coaches can be fined by the league for comments critical of referees.

The Mavericks' victory left them at 18-13 and eighth in the Western Conference while Minnesota ranks ninth at 15-16.

The officiating blunder was the second in as many days admitted by a US sports league that had an impact on the outcome of a game.

The National Football League said Monday that officials should have called a penalty on San Diego for having too many men lined up on one side of the ball defensively before the snap on a missed Kansas City field goal late in the fourth quarter that would have given the Chiefs a triumph.

Instead of a second chance from five yards closer to the goalpost, the Chiefs were forced into overtime and lost 27-24 to San Diego, allowing the host Chargers to claim a playoff berth at the expense of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

© 1994-2013 Agence France-Presse